Sunday, June 5, 2011

walk don't run

This is the start of my newest portrait of Marie. I'm posting this work in progress not to show the development and process of it, but in order to share the change in the process that I've experienced today.  I've been away for my creative habit for a short while. I have never been this consistent in my productivity. Usually there is an entire year in between my creative bursts. I'm sure that my process is constantly changing. Today the difference has been striking.

Typically I spend a long time with the image I'm interpreting, spend some time with size and shape of the canvas and sketch out the primary image.

Today I woke up, made coffee and started painting without sketching any markers. I painted the hair and the hands. Then I left to spend the day with a friend. (Great day Cozette. Thank you.) I continued as soon as I got home. I painted a base coloring of the face and eyes. I walked away for an hour or so and returned to start adding definition to the nose. The mouth and everything else is still completely without gesture. I haven't been over speculating features, nor am I all too concerned that the nose is not at the right angle. I think this may be the slow return of the clarity I obtain when I paint.

Looking at the current status of the painting I'm very happy with today's work. I've decided to walk away in hopes of getting a good night's sleep and intend to return to it tomorrow evening. Hopefully the clarity will continue to grow and I will find that peace when I finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment