Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Barnes Foundation

Cozette and I took a quick drive to Philadelphia yesterday and went to the Barnes Foundation. It was important to me to see it before it moves to it's new location inside Philadelphia city limits. (It's currently in the suburb of Merion.) Amazing. Overwhelming. Definitely worth the 7 hour drive. This morning we woke up and went to one of my favorite places, the Philadelphia Museum of Art...
I'm sure I have a lot to say about the trip. I got home about an hour ago and I thought I was going to fall asleep immediately, but no such luck. My mind is reeling with thoughts, notions, ideas, good stuff. I would love to paint right now, but I need to wake up in a few hours to go to work. I thought if I jotted something that perhaps it would clear my mind enough to slumber.

On the drive home Cozette said something that made me realize that for the first time since I don't know when I didn't look at the paintings this weekend from a historical standpoint. I simply looked at them as what was in front of me and assembled thought and opinion on the moment. That's a landmark thing for me. I'm not going to say now why that may have been; I'm still processing. I am however very glad to be aware of this shift as an observer of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment