Saturday, February 5, 2011

Seeking Progress

I worked on a lighted series for five years. I completed a piece in October and decided it would be my last one...
Vanity (unlit)

Vanity (lit)
At that point many people had asked me if I show my work or if I've ever had a gallery show or the like. No. I have not. I haven't even sought the such. Why? Because up to that point I had produced work I felt I had to explain, therefore wouldn't work on a wall alone, without that explanation. That may not be true. I may not be giving my work or myself enough credit. For whatever reason I was unable to let that work represent me. I realized I had grown beyond that work, therefore my work needed to progress as well.

For a decade I have worked in the realm of post-modern inclinations. I've decided to emerge from that comfort and move toward more indubitable work that could stand on it's own. I've decided on portraits; what can be more conclusive than a portrait?

I've been thinking about portraiture for three months now. I have determined the style and intent of these portraits. I've been asking my friends if they could live in any time when they would live. I will stylize the portrait according to their answer. For instance, if someone were to answer "1962" I might take into consideration Roy Lichtenstein's Pop Art work during that time and use that as a premise as to the theme of the portrait. I would execute in my own style of painting.

I have been painting a little for this project, but it's all been an act of practice. I need to hone my ability to again see in two dimensions. I've been doing a lot of self portraits in hopes that if I can conquer my own face and portray it accurately, then I should be able to translate everyone else to canvas as well. I'm having difficulty with eyes....





That's where I am at right now.  And as you can see for yourself, the eye eludes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment