Saturday, July 7, 2012

added process

I got a new roll of canvas, it was not primed. I've always worked with primed canvas in the past. I was looking forward to the new step in my process. I went out and bought some gesso, treated the canvas, and went at it as I always do. Snag. the canvas is a completely different texture than I'm use to. The paint didn't move along the canvas like I'm use to. I was working on this.....
You can see the choppiness of the strokes. The separation of tone. I was working on the throat when I reached my acme of frustration; started swearing at the canvas as if it had a choice and snapped the brushes I had in hands in half. Honestly? It felt great. I covered it and put it away and fretted about how to move forward.

I went to the store and looked for perhaps a glossier gesso. No luck. So I decided to use a glossy gel medium (which isn't cheap and may cause cancer in California, but I'm in NH so I'm safe) as a second coat after treating the canvas with gesso. It worked....   this is the result of that next painting....
You can instantly see the difference.....  even the eyelashes lay on the canvas more comfortably.

Anyone out there know about a semi-glossy gesso that may be available?

No comments:

Post a Comment