Sunday, September 11, 2011

Divide, deliver, amerliorate

I've been working on this series for seven months with intention; to re-gain my style of interpretation and painting of people. An idea came to mind last October that I am determined to begin realizing. I feel comfortable with the progress I've made with my work both emotionally and execution. I'm working on a painting (you can see it there unfinished two over from the lamp). I'm currently taking my time with it because it is happening with such ease. No tension. No apprehension. And perhaps to drag my feet in actually starting the project I started talking about almost a year ago. This is why I write about it now. I have found this blog very helpful with my maintaining a gratifying discipline in my work. Posting my thoughts seems to alleviate the boundless excuses I come up with.






Tomorrow I begin the process of taking the paintings off my wall and giving them away. I feel this is an important part of the process for me. I was on a semi-long car ride last weekend and Wilco's, "What Light" came on (a song I like very much) and these lyrics were very clear to me...

And if the whole world’s singing your songs
And all of your paintings have been hung
Just remember what was yours is everyone’s from now on
And that’s not wrong or right

But you can struggle with it all you like
You'll only get uptight



Another intention I had when starting this process was to get to a point where I felt like I had a body of meritorious work to show in a gallery. I do feel that the work current residing on the wall of my home is laudable, on the other hand I feel its essence is singular in it's reach and am distributing the pieces to those who are subjects in them. In the past I have always just hidden my work in the closet; there is seven years of work in my utility closet developing mold as I write this. I hope delivering these pieces to those interpreted within them will be a mode of growth.

1 comment:

  1. Your work, as shown here, is stunning. And, it knocks my socks off that you're giving pieces away! Best wishes on your journey.

    ReplyDelete