Monday, July 11, 2011

Slicing the Blueberry

I know it shouldn't have been a surprise to realize; my process for assembling a finished video piece is akin to my process for painting. It's all rhythm and instinct. For these little lyrical pieces I've been contriving it all starts with finding the right song to accompany it. It's like mixing paints and building the pallet. Then I start piling images onto the timeline and finesse everything until it feels right.

Cozette and I went blueberry picking a couple days ago. I only captures 8 minutes of footage, which is not much, but I enjoyed playing around with it. I constructed a fistful of little pieces, each one very different from the next even though the same footage was used. I adore that about images; that they can change based on the atmosphere surrounding them. Each one also captured the energy and mood I had at the time, like any painting would.

I cut this first one on Saturday when I got home from picking the blueberries. I had gone to three yoga classes within a 24 hour period and had just spent and hour basking in the sun picking my own fruit while conversing with a dear friend. My energy was strong and a little nostalgic. This is the result....


This second one I did the following day, on a lazy Sunday afternoon. I had met a friend for crepes, walked home in again beautiful weather feeling the tiredness of my body from those three yoga classes. My energy was still very good, but much calmer. This is the result....

No comments:

Post a Comment