Friday, May 13, 2011

Marie

It's been almost a month since I painted last, but not quite. I've been unmotivated for some reason. It may be that thoughts of Rose have been on the front of my mind. More about that later. This is about Marie. Marie's features are much different than my other friends. Her nose is narrow. Her eyes are sky blue. There are two things I think of when I picture her in my mind, her smile and her decolletage. I need to spend more time staring at her to be able to get her smile translated to canvas, but this is an attempt at her decolletage...
 The canvas for this piece sat naked on my wall for a couple weeks as my attention shifted to another project. Daily I had intentions of visiting this canvas, but I just stared at it until I walked away. Then last night I woke up in the middle of the night and went to it. Now I'm thinking, I should get up in the middle of the night and paint more often. It's almost as if the fog of slumber turned off something, some editing filter. The dramatic curved line on her cheek; I don't think I would have accepted that if I had done in the light of day, but I looked at it this morning, and I'm looking at it now, and I'm so glad it's there.

No comments:

Post a Comment